Mexico Insurance for Towed Units

Amazing as it may seem, failing to list a towed unit on your Mexican insurance policy could result in:
  • Voiding coverage on your primary vehicle.
  • You or your property may not be covered in the event of a loss.

Insuring Trailers & Towed Units in Mexico:

When driving to Mexico, in your car or Motorhome you may want to bring along any number of things to further enjoy your time in Mexico This could include:

  • ATV
  • Motorcycle
  • Trailers, Live-In trailers or Campers including anything designed to be pulled behind a car, truck or van. For example any type of camper trailers, 5th wheel trailers, cargo or utility trailers, other vehicle hauler trailers, flatbed trailers and car dollies.
  • A car to drive around town when you get to your destination.
  • Watercraft including everything from Jet Skis (or personal watercraft - PWC), motor boats, fishing boats, sail boats all the way up to yachts.

In order to make sure these items are properly insured you must insure them on your main Mexican Auto Insurance policy for the time while you are driving in Mexico and then you need to buy separate policies for the time they are not connected to the main vehicle.

  • While being driven on public roads Mexico ATV’s, motorcycles and cars that were towed into Mexico must be insured on their own separate auto insurance policies once they are disconnected from the main vehicle.
  • Once disconnected from the main vehicle and put on the water Watercraft must be covered by their own separate Watercraft Liability policies .

Coverage options for towed units
  • At a minimum, all towed units must be listed on your main Mexican auto insurance policy for liability coverage. If you choose to insure your towed units for liability only, this will protect you if your towed unit were to damage a third party while being towed. For example, if a wheel on your trailer is damaged and it swings out and hits a third party vehicle, the liability insurance would pay for the damage your towed unit caused to this third party, subject to policy limits.
  • If you also want Physical Damage coverage for theft and/or collision for your towed units, you can simply declare the actual cash values for those units during the quotation process.

** Not all Mexican companies provide theft & collision coverage for certain types of towed units, Others like off road motorcycles, ATV's and Dune Buggies are only eligible for liability coverage. So be careful to read all policy information to avoid confusion in the event of a claim.

Get a quote now


Get a quote now


On Google +