Mexico Auto Insurance, What's Covered
Mexican auto insurance policy coverage is made up of a number of default coverages and then coverage is added on to meet the need of the customer.
- Third Party Liability limits can be described in two ways:
- BI/PD (Bodily Injury/Property Damage): Coverage for all sums in which the insured becomes legally obligated to pay to third parties (not vehicle's occupants) because of bodily injury (BI) or property damage (PD), and sometimes other wrongs doings to which an insurance policy applies.
- CSL (Combined Single Limit): Coverage for all sums in which the insured becomes legally obligated to pay to third parties (not vehicle's occupants) because of bodily injury (BI) or property damage (PD), and sometimes other wrongs doings to which an insurance policy applies.
BEWARE OF OTHER MEXICO INSURANCE COMPANIES WHO USE LOWER SPLIT LIMITS, I.E. 40/80/40.
Also be very careful, while split limits can be fine, you have to understand the implications of these split limits. In fact, the concept is applied on most of our medical payments coverages. When it comes to liability coverage, be very careful, as you want this coverage to be as flexible and extensive as possible. As a result split limits for liability coverage can be very dangerous. Be sure to understand the implications of your Mexican Liability coverage before buying.
- Term of Insurance:
- Daily up to one year. Once you exceed about 14 days it is better to buy either a 6 month or an 12 month policy. If there is any chance that you will be going to Mexico after the end of 6 months from your first entry, it is best to buy a 12 month Mexican Auto Insurance policy and the price increase from a 6 month policy and a 12 month policy is very small.
- Coverage Territory:
- The options here are pretty simple, north eastern Mexico, north western Mexico or the entire Republic of Mexico. Unless there is no way you will go outside of north east o north west, we always suggest buying coverage based on the entire Republic of Mexico.
- Medical Payments
- A covered loss occurring in Mexico where the driver and/or occupants of the vehicle sustained injuries will be paid. Medical Service Assistance is provided 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and includes the following: medical referrals, within the Mexican Republic the company will provide medical referrals, and ambulance service. If it becomes necessary, the company will provide the names and phone numbers of ambulance services and arrange for their dispatch, after costs have been authorized by the insurer.
- This coverage is subject to split limits: a limit for each injured occupant and a total limit per event see Policies Options Compared for more detail.
- Please note: Medical Payments coverage is excluded on Mexican Motorcycle Insurance policies. This would also apply to Mexican Motorsport Insurance Policies for ATV/Quads, Motocross and Dune Buggies.
- Physical Damage to car when damaged by an Uninsured Motorist
- This coverage covers payments for cases where the vehicle that cause the accident does not have insurance, so that you do not find yourself not covered because the other party is not insured.
- Check you policy to confirm is you have bought this coverage or not.
- Collision Deductible Waiver When third party at fault
- This protects you from having to pay the deductible under your physical damage cover in the event you are not at fault in an accident. This saves you from trying to recover from the third party for your deductible in this type of claim.
- Physical Damage to car when damaged by an Uninsured Motorist
- This covers payments for cases where the vehicle that cause the accident does not have insurance, so that you do not find yourself not covered because the other party is not insured.
- Collision: (collision, turnover, glass breakage)
- The company pays for loss to the insured car, for all damages in excess of a deductible amount caused by: collision, overturning and glass. Towing expenses are covered in order to move the vehicle to a place designated for repairs by the company.
- Theft: (theft, fire, natural phenomena)
- This insurance coverage protects your vehicle up to the value you have stated on your policy for total theft, fire, lightning, explosion and meteorological phenomenon such as windstorms, cyclones, hurricanes and earthquakes.
- Partial Theft / Vandalism
- This is one of those potential Mexican auto insurance "Got You!" exposures. In the standard level of coverage, Vandalism and partial theft coverage are excluded, as well as theft of parts, components or accessories (unless as direct result of the total theft of the insured vehicle).
- In order to make sure you have coverage for this exposure make sure to by the deluxe level of coverage.
- Fixed Deductible of $500 for collision and $1,000 for total and Partial Theft and Vandalism
- The default in Mexico is for physical damage coverage under a Mexico Auto Insurance policy to have percentage deductibles of 2% for collision and 5% for theft. By purchasing this option, you can set / limit your deductible to these amounts. This option is available for additional premium.
- Legal Assist / Bail Bond
- Coverage provides legal services and payments of bail bonds required in the event of a covered loss. The company will appoint, upon request, the services of professional attorneys and will pay for the procedural expenses. The services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a toll free telephone line from Mexico for legal assistance service.
- Roadside Assistance
- Should your auto become disabled on the road, call the Emergency Service Line, a service vehicle will be dispatched from an authorized local garage to help you. Benefits of this coverage vary depending upon the policy/company selected.
- Cost of repair
- Limits are set by type of vehicle :Cars, Pickups/SUVS, Motor Homes and Motorcycles.
- Travel Assistance
- Some Mexican auto insurers include certain travel assistance covers and they may vary them by product level (standard or Deluxe). See your policy and Policies Options Compared. Travel assistance includes certain types of Medical Assistance, tourist information, vehicle towing, etc.
- Note: Some insurers do not offer the Roadside Assistance see Policies Options Compared for more details.
- MexVisit® Assistance
- The MexVisit® Assistance optional coverage was created to supplement Mexican Auto Insurance Travel Assistance coverage under their policies. It either extends travel assistance services offered under your policy or it makes up for services not offered by your policy. In some cases, the MexVisit® Assistance pricing is lower than that developed by the Mexican Insurer, so in some cases we can replaced the Mexican Insurer's Travel Assistance coverage with MexVisit® Assistance and reduce the total cost of your Mexican auto insurance quote. See Sample Pricing. Policies Options Compared and MexVisit® for more details.
Deluxe Program - Increased Coverage